Wednesday 17 October 2012

Ginger Peach Oatmeal – a vegan breakfast


Ginger Peach Oatmeal – a vegan breakfast

There was a time when I associated thin, soupy oatmeal with Scrooge’s gruel, and ran away from it, screaming with tears coursing down my face.  But what I’ve learned is that if the ‘soup’ is coconut milk, it’s really quite lovely. 
This ginger scented coconut recipe with peaches, walnuts and oatmeal is especially tasty and quick to make.

Amounts are per person, so double, triple or millionify, if you must:

¼ cup whole grained, unprocessed oats
1 cup water
1 tablespoon coconut milk powder
1 inch finely slivered ginger
1 cup chopped peach (I used my own frozen peaches)
2 chopped dates (optional)
7 to 10 walnuts


Next time I'll try dry roasting oats & ginger first.
Put the oats in a sauce pan with water and ginger and turn heat to high.  When they boil and start to thicken a bit, add the coconut milk powder and peaches, and cook for two or three minutes, stirring constantly.  I like my oatmeal grainy, not smooth, so I cook for very little time.  In fact, one day I intend to try this recipe the Swedish way, which is to merely soak the oats overnight, and not cook them at all.  I’ll let you know how that works out after I’ve tried it.  On the other hand, I might gently roast the oats and ginger for a few minutes in the pan, till the oats are a bit golden, and then cook as usual. (I'll update if either of these methods are succesful!)

If you can find a crate of good peaches, use my freezing recipe!
Because I used my own frozen peaches, they are slightly sweetened with jaggery, which enhances this recipe.  (As it would enhance just about any recipe in this world…)  If I was using fresh peaches, I might add some chopped dates as well.
Once the oatmeal is cooked to your taste, pour into a bowl, top with walnuts, and serve at once.  As I mentioned before, my oats are done within about three minutes, no more.  The ginger adds a soothing heat to this hearty breakfast, so it’s a great way to begin a frosty morning!  How do you start your mornings?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Divya, yes, any fruit that goes nicely with ginger will work here! Thanks for visiting my blog. For you lamb lovers out there, check out Divya's recipes!

    ReplyDelete