Monday 28 July 2014

Lettuce Lassie (Greens and Berry Smoothie)

Lettuce Lassie (Greens and Berry Smoothie)


How much easier can it be?
Lettuce Lassie—it sounds like some kind of a proposition, but no, I’m referring to the leafy greens rather than the invitation, and the Indian lassie is the original smoothie.  I’ve a great deal of lettuce growing in the garden, and mixing it into a berry smoothie is a wonderful way to use it.

This recipe makes two medium sized smoothies, or one that is painfully large.  It takes about five minutes to prepare, including picking time, unless you need to add in a few hours to freeze some bananas if you have no frozen berries on hand.

1 banana (fresh or frozen)
1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup ice cubes (optional)
a small bunch of cleaned fresh green lettuce, (I have a variety so I took a few leaves from several plants)
½ cup plain yogurt
520 mls unsweetened coconut water (or optionally milk)
½ teaspoon rosewater (optional)


This quick smoothie is based on the idea of some kind of frozen fruit.  If you use all fresh, you can add ice-cubes.  I buy frozen organic strawberries and blueberries, and I use fresh bananas.  But when bananas get spots, peel them, bag them, and toss them in the freezer.  They can be used for smoothies or baking, and they won’t go to waste.

You'll notice I have no sweetener in this recipe.  I find the banana adds enough sweetness, but you could add a little something if you prefer.  I said a little!


Add all ingredients to a large blender and buzz.  Pour into serving glasses and enjoy! 

Lettuce, strawberry, blueberry and banana smoothie
Strawberries are a natural coolant, and coconut water is an excellent hydrator!

No comments:

Post a Comment