Friday 29 March 2013

Limoncello Jello


Limoncello Jello
 
I needed a light and refreshing dessert tonight so a lemon and rose petal jelly seemed like the best answer. 

But as I started to make it, I had a brainstorm. 

Wouldn’t it be better with a touch of liqueur I wondered?  At first I was imagining that Grand Marnier would be the go to beverage, until I remembered I had a smidge of Limoncello in my freezer. 

I don’t normally keep booze in the freezer, but this elixir is my exception.  It doesn’t freeze, and since it should be served ice cold, this way it’s always ready to be poured into a pretty glass.

This recipe is every bit as easy as the lemon and rose petal jelly I made earlier, but should be served only to adults…
 

zest from 1 lemon
1 packet unflavoured gelatin (1 tablespoon)
¼ cup boiling water
2 lemons juiced and seeded (1/2 cup juice)
¼ cup Limoncello
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons powdered jaggery (Indian raw sugar)
1 tablespoon rose sugar (or to taste)
a pinch of dried edible rose petals
First, wash a lemon and zest it into the container that you’ll be making this in.  I use a zester, but you can use a potato peeler if you’re careful to remove just the yellow part of the skin.  Cut the peel into the thinnest strips possible.  (My zester does the whole job for me in one go.)

Pour the quarter cup of boiling water into the container, and sprinkle in the gelatin powder.  Stir it into the water and zest for about two minutes, to dissolve the gelatin. Pour in the lemon juice, Limoncello, cup of boiling water and jaggery.  Taste to see if it needs much sugar.  Start with a tablespoon of sugar, using a scented sugar such as rose or vanilla if you have it.  Otherwise, just use white sugar and add till the sweetness suits you.  Stir till all the sugars have dissolved, then sprinkle on a few rose petals.  Stir them in a bit, to wet them, and don’t worry about them sinking to the bottom, as they will float. 


Chill for at least four hours.  Serve in pretty bowls, and enjoy!  This is a luscious but light and refreshing dessert, especially welcome after a heavy meal. 

It's about as quick as the flavoured gelatin desserts commercially available, but this is made from real ingredients that are healthy and tasty! 

No comparison between the famed Lemon Jello and this, honest!

1 comment: